Skip to main content

Overlooked Losses

There has been a lot of press, blog entries and chatter about the closure of the Pub and the impact on the local music scene. There was considerable coverage of the Pub's auction [it was unique to watch decades of history be divided into lots to be sold to the highest bidder]. What has not really been mentioned is that downtown Wausau has also lost another restaurant.

Yes, Scott Street was a great music venue, but am I the only one missing sizzler steaks, Pub Burgers, and grilled tuna sandwiches? Great food, great prices. The grill was open for lunch, stayed open later than most other downtown restaurants, and one of the few that operated on Sunday. As much as I miss playing at 124 (and 126) Scott Street, I truly miss stopping in to eat.

When I moved to the downtown area three and a half years ago, there had been considerable development to 'save downtown': the Heinemann Building apartments, the Gateway at Washington Square - including the Jefferson Street Inn and City Grill, the Jefferson Street Ramp and the River Place building (all connected via sky bridges!).

Since then, there has been more development: Opening the pedestrian Mall (a two phase project), the Dudley Tower,
the Eye Clinic of Wisconsin project, and Rogers Theater converting into the Filmore.

The irony here is with all that development, there are fewer
restaurants downtown now than even two years ago. I'm not implying the restaurant business is easy, [nor am I ignoring the fact that some of the closures are the result of really poor management, odd hours, etc.] but what I am saying is that with all this development downtown, there are fewer places to eat. That puzzles me.

Here is a list of
recent downtown Wausau restaurant closures:
  • Scott Street Steak and Pub
  • Gelato Cafe (part of the 'save downtown' development buzz)
  • Stoney's (replaced by Freddie's)
  • Little Italy
  • Kelly's Martini Bar (sometimes served food, replaced by III which will serve food)
  • Back to the Grind (coffee & snacks, replaced by Whey Cool)
  • Whey Cool (replaced by Allister Deacon's Coffee House)
  • McDonald's (rebuilding south of the Mall)
  • Subway on Third (will have a spot in the renovated Mall food court)
  • Maid-Rite (that had replaced a Subway that moved across the street, now an RStore Deli)
  • Jeannie's Coffee (thankfully replaced by La Prima)
  • Big Apple Bagels
In fairness, I should mention that there are still great places to eat downtown:
  • The Mint
  • Peking
  • Chang Garden
  • City Grill
  • La Prima
  • Allister Deacon's Coffee House (coffee house, snacks)
  • Mongolian Barbecue
  • Erbert and Gerbert's
  • The BK Steak House (Burger King)
  • The Back When Cafe
  • Intermission Bar (more of a bar, serves some food)
  • Downtown Grocery dot com (daily food specials)
  • Subway (in the Olson renovation)
There are specialty restaurants (bistro's, Chinese, Mexican), fast food joints, sandwich shops, coffee shops, and cafe's (The Mint comes to mind), but Scott Street was the last of the traditional 'bar and grills' in downtown Wausau. A piece of downtown Wausau history has been completely overlooked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Texting While Driving

Recently, Wisconsin passed a text message ban while driving . There has been a lot of discussion on the dangers of texting while driving. On the flip side, CNN recently reported that cell phone driving bans don't work . As discussed in the first article above, Wisconsin already has a law that outlaws distracted driving, or “being so engaged or occupied as to interfere with the safe driving of that vehicle.”. A couple of months ago, a friend traveling from Minneapolis said something that made me think. He said that he'd never think of texting while navigating the streets of the Twin Cities, but while driving to Wausau he felt comfortable placing an occasional text. I agree. I've been on the road quite a lot lately. When I'm circling the state Capitol in downtown Madison, I would not think of texting, changing a CD, playing with my iPod or even answering my phone. There is just too much going on. Add snow, bad visibility and rush hour, it is clear: Pay attention and

Change

I seem to have been in flux for some time now. In November 2006, I decided to take a break from regular performances . Although I have returned to performing, I have not even approached the volume of gigs I left behind in 2006. Best yet, I don't care. I like performing, and it is fun again. I simply don't allow my performance schedule to control my life. July 2007, I downsized from a 2000 square foot town house to an almost 800 square foot former suite in an old hotel. I sorted through my life, and walked away from two thirds of my worldly possessions. It is amazing how much of our lives is spent collecting things that are really unessential and unimportant. It is also noteworthy that we spend a lot of time maintaining things we don't need. July 2008, I left my job of 18 years. Think about that for a second. My generation is noted for job hopping and lack of company loyalty. 18 years is a long time in today's era. I didn't leave because I was bitter (sure, there wer

Houses on the Move - Scott Street Wausau

Another of those situations where I was in the right place at the right time. The historic Marchetti and Nathan Houses moving past the Dudley Building [approx 1:15 am CST]: